You know those weekend days when the skies are blue, the sun is shining and it’s almost warm enough to dip your toe in the pool, but absolutely beach weather? On days like that, you want a lunch like this. One that you can prepare quickly, that won’t weigh you down, that works brilliantly with white wine or water, and that, most importantly, leaves room for pizza or fish and chips at the beach for dinner.
It requires no flames, no special equipment, and can be on the table in 10 minutes. We bought all the ingredients at our local farmer’s market that morning, but if you don’t have a farmer’s market nearby, everything is readily available from most supermarkets.
As an aside, this works just as well with prawns or leftover shredded barbecue chicken.
Finally, a note on quantities. This will feed 4 if it’s part of a shared meal, or 2 if it’s all you’re having.
What you need
- 100g smoked salmon
- a handful of rocket or other leaves
- 1 avocado peeled and sliced
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- about a 10cm length of cucumber – seeded and sliced
- 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- coriander to garnish (optional)
- 2 tablespoons plain unsweetened yoghurt
What you do with it
- In a large mixing bowl toss together the avocado, tomatoes, leaves, juice of one of the lemons, the olive oil and some salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix together the yoghurt and the juice from half of the other lemon. Cut the other half into halves for serving.
- Place the salad in a large serving bowl and arrange the salmon through it. If you don’t trust your dining partner to share, split it all into 2 dishes and split the salmon one piece for me, one piece for him…
- Drizzle the yoghurt dressing over the top, garnish with coriander – unless you’re a paid-up member of the I Hate Coriander Club – and serve with the leftover lemon.
- Sit back and tell everyone how healthy you are – knowing all the while that you’ll be blowing it when the 5pm nibblies come out!